Fred focuses on patent counseling. He has significant experience collaborating with early-stage and emerging growth companies to manage their patent portfolios. Fred also has experience in managing large patent portfolios for Fortune 500 companies. In addition to working with medical device, aerospace, and mechanical companies, he serves clients in the consumer products sector, including the snow sports and water sports industries. Fred has repeatedly been recognized on Managing Intellectual Property’s list of IP Stars. He is dedicated to helping entrepreneurs and young companies develop their IP portfolios, and several of his clients have recently been acquired, based largely on the value of their IP assets. Fred sits on the firm’s Policy Committee and is chair of MIATTY, the firm’s minority attorney affinity group.
He specializes in intellectual property protection in the medical device, aerospace, and mechanical industries, including offensive and defensive competitive strategies, infringement studies, financings, and strategic transactions.
His medical device technical experience involves a variety of cardiovascular, endobronchial, and ophthalmic interventions as well as various drug delivery and surgical devices. He also has technical knowledge of various orthopedic devices, including spinal and knee implants.
Fred has also advised clients in the consumer products industries, including the snow sports, golf, and water sports industries.
Before joining the firm, Fred was a principal at an international intellectual property firm located in San Diego. He also worked for the Hughes Aircraft Company, where he gained significant technical experience as a software engineer.
- University of California - Los Angeles (JD)
- California State Polytechnic University (BS, Aerospace Engineering)
- We are trusted by a high-profile San Diego-based vision-focused medical device incubator with helping to assess and develop the patent strategies of its portfolio companies, and have been key legal counsel in recent successes of its portfolio companies. In 2016 and 2017, two of the incubator's companies were acquired by global corporations.
Recognition & Awards
- San Diego Daily Transcript Top 50 Influential Leaders (2019)
- Managing Intellectual Property: Patent star - California (2014 – 2018)
- LMG Life Sciences Star (2017 - 2018)
- Member, Board of Directors of the Southern Caregivers Resource Center
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, San Diego La Raza Lawyers
- Member, South Asian Bar Association of San Diego.